This is more like the custard you would make for strawberries and custard. it does have custard powder in it other variations have only egg yolks but the can often result in sweet scrambled egg if not done properly. This makes a rich custard with the butter. This recipe would serve 4.
1 ltr Milk
80g Custard Powder
8 Egg Yolks
- Place milk and vanilla in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In a separate bowl beat in egg yolks and sugar until a ribbon is formed when whisk is lifted from the mix.
- Work in the custard, taking care not to over mix.
- Strain and Pour the boiled milk onto the egg mixture, whisking quickly in order to avoid lumps forming.
- Return the mixture to a clean saucepan, place on a simmering heat and cook until the mixture boils and becomes thick and leaves the sides of the pan, it is important to whisk thoroughly while the mixture is being cooked Pour into a clean bowl, sprinkle with caster sugar, cover and allow to chill prior to use.