Stock syrup is made up of : (This makes 1 litre)
400g Castor Sugar
100ml White Wine
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
2 Vanilla Pods (Optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and bring to the boil, this would make a great stock syrup you could have for making sorbet.
- For poached pears peel the pears and place in the stock syrup and the longer they are left in the better, allow to come to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave the pears in the stock syrup.
Raspberry coulis/Strawberry coulis when I make this I usually use frozen as they are available all year round and can be quite inexpensive and then I would serve with fresh fruit of either.
50g Castor Sugar
Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Put a small saucepan on the heat
- Add the water and sugar and allow to cook down to an almost light caramel colour
- Then add the berries and stir well
- Add the juice of the lime and allow to reduce
- Strain (Optional) and set aside
Now in the image I have a sugar basket this can be technical to make;
- You need to get a small saucepan and add 200g of castor sugar and just enough water to soak up the sugar and put on a high heat
- It should turn a light caramel after about 3 minutes and then without stirring gentle spin the saucepan to mix all together
- There will be a slight burnt scent when you dip the base of the pan in cold water to cool down the caramel
- Then well oil the underside of a ladle and using a fork dip in the caramel and quickly flick over and back over the ladle (careful the caramel is about 200 degrees if you get in on your skin trust me it is very sore!)
- It cools very fast and then just carefully twist off the ladle
- If the caramel becomes to hard to use just put back on the heat and repeat the process