This recipe makes 15 portions.
100g Icing Sugar
56g Ground Almonds (*Blitz to a powder for smooth finished texture)
26g Cocoa Powder*
2 Egg Whites
5 Tsp Castor Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 150/gas mark 3
- Sieve the icing sugar, ground almonds and cocoa powder into a bowl.
- Whisk the castor sugar and egg whites to stiff peaks. it is to this you add the colouring.
- Using a piping bag and a small nozzle, pipe out circles about 1 inch in diameter.
- Pipe onto a tray lined with grease-proof paper.
- Leave to rest on the tray for 25 minutes or until a skin develops.
- Bake for 8 minutes until firm. They should also have risen in the oven.
- To check they are cooked leave to cool for a few minutes then break in half the inside should be chewy and the outside crunchy.
125ml Double Cream/ Single Cream
- Melt the butter and the chocolate together.
- Allow to cool.
- Whip the cream til its stiff but not over-whipped! if you do over-whip your cream you can add some un-whipped cream to it and fold it in.
- Fold the chocolate mix into the cream and using a piping bag pipe some onto one side of the macaroon and sandwich with another macaroon - like Oreos. Kind of!