Friday 11 November 2011

What's for dinner? - Southern Fried Chicken with Roasted Red pepper and Chili cous cous

This dish was quite quick to prepare as for those of you who have cooked cous cous before will know it tajes no length at all.

200g cous cous
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 Red chili
Fresh herbs - basil, mint, coriander
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lime

Method:

  1. I began by pre-heating my oven for the chicken gas mark 6/ 200 degrees and I'm using a southern fried chicken breast from my local butcher but a frozen one from the supermarket will be fine.
  2. I have a gas cooker I don't know about you but the quickest was I find to roasting peppers is on the hob just turn on a ring and let the gas cook the pepper directly it doesn't soften as it would in the oven and you could put it in with the chicken but I want the smokey taste but I want the pepper to have a bite - it's up to you.
  3. Cook the cous cous I find the best way is add the dried cous cous to a large bowl then just covering it with boiling water and covering with cling film.
  4. When it's cooked just uncover and gently fork in a small amount of butter to loosen the cous cous
  5. Add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix when the pepper is ready add this and the mixture to the cous cous and mix well 
  6. When the chicken is almost cooked 
  7. Put the cous cous on a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil and just cook gently in the oven just to heat it through
  8. Chop the chicken and assemble the dish
  9. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment