100g Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Sugar
25g Melted Butter
1 Teaspoon Bread Soda
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees /Gas Mark 7.
- Heat a 2 litre loaf tin.
- Mix the flours, soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl; add the buttermilk and mix thoroughly to make a very wet mixture.
- Mix in the melted butter and turn into the hot tin, then bake in the hot oven for an hour, removing the tin for the last 10 minutes to allow to brown.
- Remove from the oven and turn the loaf onto a rack; wrap in a damp tea towel and leave to cool.
- If you can resist eating it immediately, allowing freshly baked bread to “settle” for an hour or two will make it easier to slice.