Shepherds pie, is such a classic a great way to fill you up on a cold day, especially this time of the year, you can make it the night before so then all you have to do is put it in the oven and heat it. Serves 4.
700g Lamb Mince
1 Carrot - finely chopped
1 Onion - finely diced
2 Cloves of Garlic
75ml Red Wine
75ml Chicken Stock
660g Rooster Potatoes
Egg Yolks (2)
35g Parmesan Cheese
- Boil some water, throw some salt and your potatoes in, and set a timer for 15 minutes – start on your filling.
- Upon the timer going off, take your potatoes out and strain the water off.
- Put potatoes back into the pan, or into a medium mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with their ingredients from above and keep warm (your filling should be about done by this point)
- Pour Olive Oil into a hot, rather large pan, then add meat.
- Stir meat as if your life depends on it for a few minutes so it’s nice and brown, and broken into very small pieces.
- Add your Rosemary, Thyme, and Garlic, then stir some more.
- Quickly add your Carrot, and Onion, stir a little longer.
- The idea at this point is to get everything to a minced consistency.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, stir, add Tomato Puree, stir, add Red Wine and sweat down for a minute or two.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Scoop your meat mixture into a deep casserole or other oven safe dish and then spoon the mash over the top.
- Spread the mash over the top of the mix with the bottom of the spoon and then sprinkle a generous portion of Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Poke the top with a fork several times to give it a peaked look and stick it in the oven at 200 degrees/ gas mark 6 for 18-20 minutes to brown the potatoes and set the pie.