500g Chicken Breast, Thinly Sliced
1 Medium Onion, Thin Wedges
4-5 Garlic Cloves
1 Red Pepper, Bite Size Pieces
4-5 Small Red Bird’s Eye Chili*
½ Tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp Vegetable/Chicken Stock
2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
2 Handfuls Basil leaves
* this chili is really spicy if you don't really like spice go for a regular chili!
- Mix the chicken, garlic, chilies, fish sauce, and oyster sauce in a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok over a medium heat.
- When the oil seems hot, drop a few basil leaves into it.
- If they sizzle immediately the oil is ready.
- Fry three quarters of the basil leaves until they are crispy.
- Lift out and allow to drain, discard the oil.
- Heat oil in the same wok ad stir fry half of the chicken.
- Add stock and sugar to the wok, then the pepper and onion, and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh basil leaves.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with the crispy basil.