226g Caster Sugar
255g Plain Flour
113g Melted Butter
Vanilla Flavoring If Required
- Weigh all ingredients carefully; prepare tins or sponge rings, by brushing bases and sides with melted butter and dusting lightly with flour.
- Sieve the flour into a dry clean bowl or sheet of grease-proof paper.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl, sit in a warm ban marie, beat the eggs and sugar until warm, whisk thoroughly until the mixture has increased in volume by at least three times carefully fold in the flour using a metal spoon, quickly follow this with the melted butter, make sure that all the flour has been incorporated and that no lumps have caught in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the sponge mixture to the prepared moulds, filling to three quarters from the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 177 for 30 – 35 minutes, when cooked remove from oven, allow to cool, store and use as required NB Chocolate sponge : proceed as for recipe above except replacing 113g of flour with 113g cocoa powder or drinking chocolate
You can then make it look well fancy by piping on a design onto the top of the cake but practice first on a plate because if you make a mistake you can't take it back, its just about confidence I kind of messed up on my design some of the lines are thick and others are thin, but it doesn't matter it adds character :)