1 Vanilla Pod/Vanilla essence will substitute about 1 tbsp
8 Egg Yolks
4 passion fruit
- Pre-heat the oven to 150/gas mark 2
- Prepare the ramekins (make sure they are clean and if possible all the same size)
- Infuse the milk, cream and sugar with the vanilla in a pot/saucepan and allow to boil.
- when the mixture has come to the boil, add to the egg yolks and whisk vigorously!
- return the mixture to the saucepan and back on the heat, keep whisking until you feel the mix has thickened slightly too much and you will scramble it!
- Pass through a strainer and into a clean container, you could retain the mix by cooling down completely in cold water and storing in the fridge.
- If using immediately, strain and ladle equal amounts into each ramekin, in each ramekin should be a teaspoon to a tablespoon of passionfruit then put in a deep tray and fill the tray up to 2/3 (in height of the ramekins) with water.
- Cook for 18/20 mins, to check wobble the brulees and if it appears set around on top it is done if not return to the oven for a further 5 minutes than check again.
- Put on a wire tray to cool, and leave in the fridge until your ready to serve.
- To serve, sprinkle with brown sugar and caramelise with a blow torch, careful not to burn the sugar, *dust with some icing sugar, chop a strawberry in half and serve with the shortbread.